JEDIJF

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Gonna give this Bug Squashing thing a Whirl

In an attempt to get back in the swing of things, and keep momentum moving along, I have decided to give Ubuntu Bug Squashing a try.

The hard part is I am not real good at defining what is a bug versus what is a "Linux challenge".

I just asked Dave Harding, who I respect, and who has identified bugs in the past, if something was a bug. I had already determined that in my mind, it wasn't a bug, but realizing that my thinking is often flawed, I decided to ask.

RESULT: My thinking is flawed.

I will have to take two steps back and read all the documentation that is provided, and submit to the fact, if something doesn't work for someone, it is NOT whining, or being a wuss, to report it as a bug.

Years of playing with Linux has brought me countless hours of joy and frustration making things work, that didn't work originally. For me, that's what this hobby of mine is all about. Some call it hacking, others tinkering; for me it's just relaxation and diversion from the daily grind.

This isn't going to be easy. I can already feel the frustration. Supporting users with something that I am passionate about is difficult. I tend to judge them, which is something I need to let go of.

If I truly give this a whole-hearted attempt, it may end of squashing some of my own psychological bugs.

That's a pretty decent two-fer!!

Let the squashing BEGIN!!

No comments: